Financial gifts can bestow benefits for many years to come. Here are options to consider.

Fund an IRA

Give your children or grandchildren an early start on a comfortable retirement. For 2015, you can contribute the lower of $5,500 or the earned income of the child to an IRA.

Fund a 529 education account

Contributions to a Section 529 college savings plan grow tax-free and withdrawals are tax-free when used to pay qualified education expenses of the account beneficiary.

Fund a Coverdell education savings account

You can contribute up to $2,000 annually to a Coverdell. These IRA-like accounts grow tax-free, though the total amount of your gift may be limited, depending on your income.

Fund a custodial account

Want to encourage an interest in saving and investing? Buy shares in a mutual fund and combine the gift with a book on investing. Your child can watch the investment grow over time and enjoy dividend payouts too. Modest amounts of investment income can be tax-free to children, although the kiddie tax may apply at higher levels.

Call us to review the tax issues related to these financial gifts.

TAX ADVICE AND LEGAL DISCLAIMER: All content included on this website including attachments, is not meant to be used and cannot be used as tax advice or legal advice nor can it be used to avoid penalties that may be imposed under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable law, nor may any content here be used to promote to another party any matter addressed by or on this website.